Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Phil (Flash Fiction)

When Phil died, two TV vans and a dozen reporters showed up.
I was furious. "What is it with you ghouls? Why do you suddenly come alive when you hear of a death? Go back to the rocks you crawled out from under. I have nothing to say to you." They drove away. I went back to my grieving.
As legend has it, Phil accompanied an Irish sailor who jumped ship in San Diego and took up residence in the city. Eventually the Irish sailor became mayor of San Diego.
When I bought this place, it was with the condition that I would take care of Phil. "He lives out there," the seller said, pointing to an outbuilding at the far end of the property. He took me to meet Phil. I didn't see any problem at all, taking him into my care. Aging, that was evident, but there seemed to be no reason why we couldn't get along.
Actually, after moving in, I got to like Phil - a lot. I enjoyed spending quiet hours with him, ruminating on all the stupid things I had done in my life and the blind luck that got me where I am.
I introduced Phil to my dear Greek scholar friend, who warmed to him immediately. She called him "Philia."
That evening as we sat glumly around the kitchen table, we hardly ate. "What will we do?" Jon asked.
"Sea Burial," I said. "I've already thought about it. We'll do it tomorrow."
The next day Jon and I lifted Phil onto a chartered tour boat. The whole family got on board as well as my scholar friend and a Scottish piper she brought along. I told the pilot to head for a quiet lagoon where the water is crystal clear and you can see to the bottom.
With Jon on one side and me on the other we gently lowered Phil into the water. My scholar friend motioned for the piper to start playing. There were tears in her eyes.
We all stood at the rail, watching Phil sink gracefully, like an airplane coming in for a landing, until he came to his final resting place.
I felt a tug at my jacket and looked down upon my grandson.
"Grandpa?"
"Yes?"
"Can we get another turtle?"

Flash fiction sites
www.Alongstoryshort.net

www.fictionaut.com

No comments:

Post a Comment