Saturday, July 20, 2013

YEAR OF THE DAISY

This poem was first posted July 19, 2013 on yourdailypoem.com

YEAR OF THE DAISY

by Edward Hujsak

That was the year that daisies
all agreed to perform flawlessly,
to help humanity along its faltering way.
Every one, its petals plucked
to rhythmic chants:
She loves me, she loves me not,
would tell you that she loves you
He loves me, he loves me not,
would tell you that he loves you.

It was her favorite flower, you know.
Garlands framed the altar
where we said our last good byes.

Now this lavender bloom.
lifted from the roadside,
has graced my table for a week.
Drawn into its lonely self at night,
it flares to fullness at daybreak
atop a dime store, Ming inspired
thin-stem porcelain vase.
I pluck its petals one by one.
She loves me, she loves me not.
She loves me, she loves me not.
..............She loves me.

Copyright  © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment