Sunday, November 30, 2014

HYDROGEN POWERED CARS

As a career rocket engineer with experience in handling hydrogen, a common rocket fuel, a New York Times editorial, November 30, titled "Hydrogen Cars, Coming Down the Pike," sparked my interest, due to inherent danger of explosion. The editorial spoke of
hydrogen car development by several manufacturers.

A brief note: We often hear of delay of a rocket launch due to a hydrogen leak. Who is going to guarantee that leaks will not occur in  cars, which are subject to all kinds of road vibrations and even impacts? If rockets can leak, will not some cars?

Another brief note: Insurance companies do not allow presence of volatile fuels in garages, even if contained in ASME code tanks. Will they allow cars, of many designs, fueled by hydrogen?

I can visualize a future New York Times headline: "Entire Condominium Destroyed due to Hydrogen Explosion in Basement Parking Lot.

If I were a resident, I would not sleep well knowing that another resident parked his hydrogen fueled car under me. If I were the owner of a parking lot structure, I would also be concerned. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment